Ottawa, August 13, 2020—The Honourable Marco E. L. Mendicino, P.C., M.P., Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, and the Honourable François-Philippe Champagne, Minister of International Affairs, issued the next assertion:
“Canadians had been shocked and deeply saddened by the explosion in Beirut final week. We mourn those that misplaced their lives and want the survivors a speedy restoration.
“The Authorities of Canada’s first precedence is making certain that affected Canadians and their households have the consular help and different help they should navigate this troublesome time. Canada is establishing a job drive on Lebanon to help the supply of consular providers, and to make sure that questions associated to immigration might be rapidly addressed.
“Lebanese residents in Canada on a short lived foundation are additionally in a position to prolong their keep in Canada if they’re unable to return residence due to the explosion. Canada will waive the price of paperwork associated to renewing their standing for them in addition to for Canadians and everlasting residents in Lebanon who want to come back residence.
“These commitments are additional to a pledge of as much as $30 million in humanitarian and improvement help for the folks of Lebanon. This funding will assist trusted companions just like the Pink Cross and the Humanitarian Coalition to handle speedy humanitarian wants and help early restoration efforts.
“The people-to-people ties between Canada and Lebanon are sturdy. Canada will proceed to watch the state of affairs carefully to make sure that survivors of the latest tragedy obtain the assistance they want. We stay engaged and stand prepared to help nonetheless we are able to.”
- Canadians and everlasting residents in Lebanon have the proper to return to Canada, topic to public well being measures in place to forestall the unfold of COVID-19.
- There may be additionally a right away household exemption on the border for overseas nationals who’re associated to Canadian residents and everlasting residents, topic to having a legitimate short-term resident visa, the 2-week obligatory quarantine, and a go to that isn’t lower than 15 days.
- Worldwide college students from Lebanon are in a position to journey to Canada offered that they had a legitimate research allow issued earlier than March 18, 2020.
- Canada’s companions on the United Nations Refugee Company and the Worldwide Group for Migration have not too long ago began to renew refugee resettlement operations, and we are going to proceed to prioritize and resettle essentially the most pressing circumstances.
- IRCC’s skill to course of functions is restricted by the worldwide pandemic, however we’re targeted on prioritizing functions for Canadians and everlasting residents returning to the nation, weak teams and individuals who carry out important providers.
- Canadians who want consular assist in Lebanon can contact the Embassy of Canada in Beirut at 961 4 726 700 or [email protected], or contact World Affairs Canada’s Emergency Watch and Response Centre in Ottawa at +1-613-996-8885 or [email protected].
Canada’s response to the crisis in Lebanon
Travel advice and advisories—Lebanon
Embassy of Canada to Lebanon
For additional data (media solely), please contact:
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada