August 14, 2020—Montreal—Entrance-line employees play a vital function in protecting Canadians wholesome. In recognition of their distinctive service, in the present day the Honourable Marco E. L. Mendicino, Canada’s Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, introduced a brief measure that may present a pathway to everlasting residency for asylum claimants working within the health-care sector throughout the COVID-19 pandemic.
Below this measure, asylum claimants throughout the nation who’re engaged on the entrance strains offering direct care to sufferers in health-care establishments will have the ability to apply for everlasting residency in the event that they meet the standards. Quebec will choose these qualifying for this particular measure who want to reside in Quebec. This method acknowledges these with precarious immigration standing who’re filling an pressing want and placing their very own lives in danger to take care of others in Canada.
As with all candidates for humanitarian and compassionate consideration, and in step with the federal government’s dedication to household reunification, in-Canada relations of the principal applicant could be included within the utility and granted everlasting residency, if the appliance is authorised. Those that have been discovered ineligible to make an asylum declare, or who’ve withdrawn or deserted their claims, could be excluded from making use of.
To qualify, people should meet all the following standards:
- have claimed asylum earlier than March 13, 2020
- have been issued a piece allow after they made a declare for asylum
- have labored within the health-care sector, in well being establishments (for instance, hospitals, long-term care properties, dwelling care by a company or company, assisted dwelling amenities)
- have labored in a chosen occupation for at least 120 hours between March 13, 2020 and August 14, 2020. The designated occupations which are included on this particular measure are orderlies, nurses, nurses’ aides and affected person service associates, assistant orderlies and sure dwelling help employees.
- reveal 6 months of expertise within the designated occupation earlier than being granted everlasting residence. Candidates may have till August 31, 2021 to amass this expertise.
- have a Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ), if wishing to reside in Quebec
- meet current admissibility necessities, together with these associated to criminality, safety and well being